Is it possible to specify name of the Kernel Dump File?

Is it possible to specify name of the Kernel Dump File?

Postby pav » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:57 pm

I am trying to change Memory dump filename in Start and Restore dialog by specifing %systemroot%\Memory%date%%time%.dmp but its not working. How can I use variables like %random% %date% %ime%?

I think the name was hardcoded to prevent the HDD run out of space with dumps.

It can be renamed with logon/autostart script, but may be there are an another (better) solution?

thanks
Pav

P.S. sorry this post should be moved to "Saving and collecting dumps"
pav

Re: Is it possible to specify name of the Kernel Dump File?

Postby pav » Mon May 05, 2008 3:00 am

putting this line in bat file and running it on every windows start do automatically renaming of MEMORY.DMP

it works with german version where echo %date% produce 04.05.2008, but in UK/US version it does 04/05/2008, so it should be changed there)

make compressed cab file ( ~30% of originally size):
Code: Select all
for /f "tokens=1-3 delims=:" %%a in ('time/t') do makecab c:\windows\memory.dmp c:\windows\memory-%date%--%%a-%%b.dmp.cab

copy only:
for /f "tokens=1-3 delims=:" %%a in ('time/t') do copy c:\windows\memory.dmp c:\windows\memory-%date%--%%a-%%b.dmp

UK/US-Version:
for /f "tokens=1-3 delims=:" %%a in ('time/t') do copy c:\windows\memory.dmp c:\windows\memory-%%a-%%b.dmp

on every windows start a black cmd window will appear - it is a reminding that bat file should be removed from autostart folder/registry when debugging ends.
pav

Return to Kernel and Complete memory dumps